I really struggle to find interesting Vegetarian BBQ ideas and recipes.
I enjoy the occasional hotdog, but other than that I much prefer ideas for Vegetarian BBQ food than meat based recipes when it comes to planning an Alfresco feast. I just feel it mixes things up a little.
Summer for me is all about BBQs. Friends, food, cocktails and laughter. It doesn’t get better than that.
These Feta and Sweet Potato Burgers are my ‘go to’ recipe when I run out of ideas for vegetarian BBQ food. They are so moist and tasty. The sweetness of the potato combined with the earthy flavor of the coriander make for a very tasty pattie that even meat lovers will adore.
When it comes to BBQs there is always the debate about gas v’s charcoal. We have owned both and they each have their merits, although I think the gas BBQ designs are always better than their charcoal counterparts.
Feta and Sweet Potato Burgers
Ingredients (makes 6 medium-sized burgers)
- 150g oats
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 spring onions finely chopped
- 1 red chili de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 5cm piece of ginger root finely chopped
- Large handful of fresh coriander finely chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 egg
- 200g crumbled Feta
- Lightly toast the oats in a dry pan for 5 mins until lightly brown
- Boil the sweet potatoes and simmer until ready for mashing (about 10 mins)
- Mix the spring onions, chili, garlic, ginger and coriander in a large bowl, add the mashed sweet potato and combine well
- Carefully stir in the egg, feta and 1/3 of the oats.
- Make the mixture into 6 patties and press them into the remaining oats to cover them.
- Wrap each pattie in foil ready for the BBQ (these can stay in the fridge for up to 5 hours)
- Cook on the BBQ for 20 minutes, turning once.
- Open, serve, enjoy.
What are your best Vegetarian BBQ ideas? I’d love to know.
Disclaimer. This is a post in partnership with Littlewoods, however the views expressed are all my own.