I love, love, LOVE this Semolina Sponge Cake.
I first made Semolina Sponge Cake with Nuts, Greek Yoghurt & Honey when I attended a TOTAL Greek event last summer and it has been a firm family favorite ever since.
For the Semolina Sponge Cake
120g TOTAL Classic Greek Yoghurt
190g golden caster sugar
50g self-raising flour
1 orange, zest
1 lemon, zest
100g ground almonds
100g ground hazelnuts
2 tbsp poppy seeds (plus 1 tablespoon extra for the top of the cake)
For the syrup
1 orange, juice
1 lemon, juice
140g golden caster sugar
1 tablespoon orange blossom water
1. Pre heat the oven to 175°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
2. Grease the baking tin.
3. Beat the butter and sugar until it is pale yellow and creamy.
4. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
5. Now chuck in the flour, zest, ground nuts, semolina, Greek yoghurt and poppy seeds.
6. Stir everything up well and spoon in to your greased baking case.
7. Bake for about 1 hour but check after 45 minutes – the sponge will be golden brown and springy when cooked.
8. Put the cooked semolina sponge cake to one side to cool slightly and make the syrup.
9. To make the syrup place all the ingredients in a pan and bring to a boil.
10. Allow the syrup mixture to reduce by at least half.
11. Using a fork dot holes across the surface of the cake and then pour over the syrup, sprinkle with the extra poppy seeds.
12. Serve with Greek yoghurt and a trickle of honey.
For the full nutritional information of Semolina Sponge Cake with Nuts, Greek Yoghurt & Honey and more recipes please visit the TOTAL Greek website