My spicy Thai soup recipe has evolved over many years. Firstly coming from a friend I used to work with, and then being adapted after finding a similar version in a cookbook I received last Christmas. It may not be fully authentically Thai but its blooming delicious, and that’s what matters most to me.
I’m a huge fan of adding chilies to food, as this spicy Thai soup recipe will testify. For that reason I was not surprised at all to see ‘Chillies Obsession’ as one of the key leading flavour trends in the 125th Anniversary Edition of Schwatz and McCormicks The Flavour Forecast. This report highlights the top five food trends (Chillies Obsession, Modern Masala, Clever Compact Cooking, Mexican World Tour and Charmed By Brazil) and more than a dozen emerging flavours predicted to impact the way we eat in the coming years.
Here is my very own Chili Obsession.
Spicy Thai Soup Recipe
Ingredients (serves two)
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 1 red chili deseeded and sliced
- 150g Mushrooms sliced
- 50g celery sliced thinly
- 2 cm root ginger chopped into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons of low salt soy sauce
- 70g baby corn
- 1 stick of lemongrass finely chopped
- 100g Mange tout
- 5 tbsp of chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tsp of dried chillies (optional)
- Place the vegetable stock in a lidded pan and bring to the boil
- Add all other ingredients apart from the mange tout, coriander and dried chilies and simmer with the lid on over medium heat for 5 minutes
- Add the mange tout and continue to simmer for an additional 3 minutes
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with the chopped coriander and (optional) dried chilies for that extra kick.
In 2014, global flavour leader McCormick, parent company of UK leading herbs and spices brand Schwartz, is celebrating its 25th anniversary. The year-long celebration kicks off with the launch of the 125th Anniversary Edition of The Flavour forecast and the Flavour of Together programme, with the goal of connecting people around the world as the share 1.25 million stories about the special role food and flavour plays in our lives.
Get involved and share you flavour story, like I have with this spicy Thai soup recipe, with Schwartz in this very special anniversary year.